Te Papa ... Heart of Tauranga
Cnr Wharf Street and The Strand
The beautification of the southern portion began in coronation year, 1902, when the foundation stone of the Edward V11 Esplande was laid by mayor Canon Charles Jordan. This grassed area was opened by Richard Seddon in 1905. In 1907 “hardy palms” (trachycarpus) were planted, enclosed in “cages” to preserve them from the cows which wandered free in the streets until the 1930’s.
In 1951 the decision was made to replace the original palms with the present Butia palms, but both were allowed to co-exist until 1962, when the old trees were removed. More palms were planted in 2004 as part of the waterfront redevelopment
2. Rail Bridge
The east Coast Main trunk Railway projecft, begun in 1910 at Mount maunganui, was delayed by W.W.1. Work recommenced after the war and the rail bridge across the harbour from Matapihi to The Strand was completed in February 1924, with the official opening in JUne. When work on the line north from tauranga to Waihi was finished in 1928 it became possible to travel to Auckland by train.
Rail Bridge - The Strand extension
3. Hotel St Amand
Opposite the southern reclamation (1962) stands the oldest remaining hotel building in Tauranga. The Commercial Hotel, built by Joseph Ellis in 1876, was destroyed by fire in 1916. the present building, designed by architect H. Clemson, was completed the following year. The name was changed to Hotel St Amand in 1956.
Hotel St Amand - The Strand, West side
4. Floral Steamer
The floral steamer was created by the Borough Council gardener, Charles Cameron, a nationally known botanist. He was awarded the Loder Cup in 1959 in recognition of his contribution to knowledge of native ferns, which he kept at his home on Cameron Road called “The Fernery”. The floral steamer, which featured in many photos taken during the 1940s/50s, was restored in 2005.
Floral Steamer - The Strand, East side
The Historic Tauranga brochure has been reproduce with premission from;
Lower Northern Regional Office,
New Zealand Historic Places Trust Pouhere Taonga